Sunday, April 26, 2009

Virginia Creeper Vines are Dying From Unknown Cause?

Last year, and again this year, something is wrong with my Virginia Creeper. The new leaves look sort of deformed from the very beginning. And the older leaves get pinholes in them, or even somewhat larger holes. My guess is that something is eating them but I see no bugs. With a magnifying glass I could see some tiny black specs but they weren't moving so I don't really think they were bugs. The vines are about 12 years old and have been great until last year. The only other possibility I can think of is that I layed a brick paver path near the base of the vines last year, and I wonder if some chemical is washing off the bricks and hurting the vines....seems unlikely. Thanks.

Virginia Creeper Vines are Dying From Unknown Cause?
My first thought is that you have some sort of insect preying on the creeper, leaving behind little poopies (the black non-moving specks); but for the other, the fact that the leaves are emerging deformed...that makes me think virus. Mosaic virus, perhaps?





Or the culprit for both of these could simply be the Virginia Creeper leafhopper, which is very closely related to the potato, grape and three-banded leafhoppers. It causes stippling on and cupping of leaves, and is controlled by Pravado, Danitol, Assail, to name a few...if you want to go the chemical route.





If you want to go the more natural route, try DE, otherwise known as diatomaceous earth, which I find at Lowe's for about $8.99 a bag. It is a powder that will not harm you or your pets (if any) and you can put it in say, a ketchup squirter (dollar store) and just poof it all over and under your plants.





I use this stuff to kill fleas on my pets...it's very effective. And I dust it on with my hands. Harmless to us.





Now, if all that fails, and I'm way off track, take a sample to your local county extension agency. They can help you out there. For free.


Happy Gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment