Sunday, April 26, 2009

Virginia Creeper . . .?

I would like to have a Virginia Creeper growing on my house walls but would need to plant one in a tub or something as I have no garden near enough. Would a VC grow in a large tub or do they need to be in proper ground?

Virginia Creeper . . .?
Virginia Creeper can be grown in a large planter. If your house isn't made of brick or stone, however, I would reconsider. I love Virginia Creeper on my fences and trees, but I am afraid it would pull the vinyl siding right off my house if I let it grow there, as it can get very large and heavy. And wood siding would be subject to moisture damage from the vines blocking air flow, and would be difficult to paint when needed. It is an excellent native American vine though, and should be more widely planted, in my opinion.
Reply:Virginia Creeper will grow anywhere... I have it coming through cracks in the driveway, against the foundation of the house,from under the deck,behind the shed where there is no sunlight, you name it! It dosent need much soil to survive. I pull it out all the time and cant seem to rid my yard of it.... Don't plant it on your house unless you want your house to rot.... try planting it on a fence or tree. I have it on a small swamp Maple and in 5 years it completely took it over. I had to pull it all off and 2 years later is is back better than before.Just know that it is invasive... and good luck if Virginia creeper is what you want, Cause once established you cant get rid of it!

Dog Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment